Sunday, September 16, 2018

Sick Day

I've enjoyed hanging out on the couch with Anna this morning as she's been laying low this weekend feeling a little under the weather...
She seems to be on the mend, and I do believe that Poppy has been good medicine. We read this lovely "liturgy for a sick day" this morning and wanted to pass it on...

"For this brief pause, for this reminder and of dependence upon you, I thank you, O Lord.
A day such as this, in which I endure a measure of sickness or unease,
is a reminder that the redemption of all things is not yet complete.
It is a reminder that this body will decline and one day fail, and so it is also a reminder that the ways
I spend my days matter- for my hours,  revealed like veins of gold beneath a rushing stream, are a limited resource to be purposefully mined or forever lost.
A day such as this is a reminder that good health and vigor are gifts to be consciously and gratefully enjoyed, and to be invested while they might, in eternal things. So let me finish this day, O Lord, wiser than I began in.
Let me live now, in light of this knowledge that a time might come in this life when I feel such sickness and discomfort for a long season, when I must adjust to a "new normal" when my abilities are limited either by the slow decline of age or from some accident, injury or disease. Therefore, let me use the good health that I have while I have it, presuming nothing.
Let me use it to serve well, to love well, to care for your people,your creation, to spend my allotted days cherishing hearts, creating beauty, bringing order, offering  healing, delighting in your goodness manifest to me in a million ways, and so to one day come to the end of my days having stewarded them well. Heal my body from this sickness, O Christ My Healer. Be gracious. Give rest.
Raise me again to health with a heightened sense of thankfulness for the unmerited gift of well-being, and also with a greater-sense of compassion for those who suffer lingering ailment, disease or discomfort. Teach me by my own small sufferings to be a better minister and friend to those who suffer greatly. So let even the unease I feel today work as your servant, accomplishing your better purposes in me."
-Douglas Kaine Mckelvey Every Moment Holy 




No comments:

Post a Comment