Sunday, April 13, 2014

Kim Possible

This morning was the 30th Annual Trideltathon in Knoxville.  When I looked at our spring break dates back in January and realized this race would fall during our break AND when Kim said she would be done with her chemo and radiation by this time and that she was going to sign up for the race, I knew this was something I did not want to miss for the world.  

This race is how I got to know Kim 4 years ago when she asked me at Sequoyah one day at school pick-up if I would train for this race with her.  We started running, biking and swimming together that spring. As we logged the miles, we also began to share our hearts and souls together and the rest is history. 

Since it was the 30th anniversary of the race, they dubbed this year as the Retro-Triathlon and had the events done backwards from what the normal order is for a fun twist this year.  So we ran first, then biked and swam at the end. Both Kim and I agreed that this is the way to go! 



Yesterday as we were talking, I asked Kim if she would let me run along with her during the race and we agreed we would give it a shot today. 

This amazing woman who been battling cancer this last year showed the world once again today that she is a fighter (and a fast mama at that!).  She asked me to push her a bit in the run, and with the first mile right under a 7 minute mile, I honestly thought there was something wrong with my watch! Nope- she was just flying. 


We were mostly all smiles on the bike portion of the race.  Due to the radiation treatment having had a delayed reaction that showed up 1 1/2 weeks ago, she had some areas that looked like they had third degree burns under her arms and on her chest so the swimming was painful to say the least, but she powered through.  I tried to stay right by her side (unless we had to let someone by or pass someone).  Since her hair is super short as it is just now beginning to grow back, she did not need a swim cap.  So, I was the lucky one who got to wear her bright pink swim cap that said "KIM POSSIBLE" that the UT Swim team had made for a breast cancer awareness event during a swim meet recently.  











As we got out of the pool, I grabbed her hand and we finished the race hand in hand (and then with hugs and high fives all around.)  And the end result is that Kim got FIRST PLACE in her age division! WHOOHOOO!!!! 




On Facebook Kim wrote this update: "Oh, sorry breast cancer - I won my age group ANYWAY! Props and endless thanks to Emily Huff who won Best Supporting Actress (don't those trophies look like Oscars?) for hanging with me the entire race and coming in 3rd in her younger age group!"














No comments:

Post a Comment