Wednesday, May 14, 2014

the Wind and the Wave

The following reflection was written back in March by Erika Stanley whom I met on the UPC women's retreat.  She is the mom of 6 (four biological children and two adopted from Ethiopia).  In light of a few incidents this week, I am so grateful for this reminder of the calm within the storm. 



Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!” (Mathew 8:23-25)



"I recently heard a short sermon from Paul David Tripp on this passage and found it very insightful.  He said we should ask ourselves how the disciples got themselves into the situation of being on a boat in a stormy sea.  They were overwhelmed with fear and felt like they were going to be lost.
     
The answer to this question is that Jesus asked them to get in the boat.  They followed him into it.  From our perspective, it's funny to think of the disciples fearing death - they had Jesus in the boat with them!  If they really understood who Jesus is, they would not have been afraid.

Yesterday, I read this passage to my kids and while discussing it, we agreed that our two little ones are our very own Wind and Wave.  We were pretty sure we followed Jesus into this "boat" but during the past few months have been crying out, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"

This past weekend was full of stormy weather - mostly at bed time.  For several nights in a row Hermon managed to sneak downstairs and bring snacks up to his bed.  I know this may not sound like a big deal but it comes with a lot of baggage.  And, I get particularly annoyed because crumbs get everywhere and I hate changing sheets on a top bunk.  Each time he does this I get more irritated and frustrated. My behavior does not cause him to "follow me," but instead he takes his rebellion one step further.  
     
On Sunday night I went to bed early feeling tired and done.  All I wanted was to sleep.  Around 10 pm I heard some commotion in the other room and went to check on the wind and the wave.  They were drinking soda and eating granola bars.  I'd like to say that this happened next: I was overcome with sympathy for my sweet children and remembered the hard place they came from.  Instead of getting angry, I lovingly told them that they shouldn't be drinking soda and eating granola bars in bed because it's sleep time.  I then hugged them tight, assured them that I love them deeply, and tucked them in with kisses on their foreheads.

Nope.  That didn't happen.  This did, "OH. MY. GOSH! Are you freaking kidding me??" I grabbed the food, jammed it in the trash (not in their room), told them I better not see them or hear from them until morning or else!  Then I stomped to my room, screamed in my pillow, felt the rage of an adopted child, texted swear words to my husband who was downstairs enjoying a quiet moment, and said a prayer to Jesus with more swear words in the mix.

When people say things to me about how "good" it was for us to adopt needy children,  I can't even muster up a fake smile anymore because I know we are not good.  We are sinners.  We need Jesus. 

He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!” (Math. 8:26-27)

When I read that the winds and the waves were rebuked,  I may initially think of my kids because it's true - they need to be rebuked and brought to a place of calm.  But really, I need the rebuking as much or even more then they do.  Don't we all need to be rebuked?  I need to be calmed, I need to not be afraid, have faith, know Jesus brought me into the storm and remember that he's in it with me. He's with us."   -Erika Stanley http://thestanleyschool.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-wind-and-wave.html


we all are the winds and the waves 
in need of His voice that says,
"Peace, Be Still!" 


Wind #1

Wave #1 

Wind #2

Wave #2



He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed.
Psalm 107: 29 

No comments:

Post a Comment