Monday, April 13, 2020

Chalk Fairies

On the night before Easter, I rallied Anna, Taylor and Dani to join me to put some Easter cheer out on our sidewalk.  We wrote some "Happy Easter" messages on the sidewalk and drew a giant sun and Easter egg in the middle of the street.  Then I started drawing hearts down the sidewalk. And I kept going and going and then found myself practically halfway down the block. This was not my original plan to go all out quite like this, but at that point, I figured we might as well go all the way from 52nd to 55th.  Anna decided to make sure that the other side of the block also had hearts so we had them going both ways, and Dani and Taylor chipped in too.  Let's just say that it's a good thing I had not known this was going to be the plan for the evening, or it's possible that no one would have volunteered to come out drawing with me on the sidewalks for over an hour! 

On Easter morning, it was so much fun to see so many people walking and enjoying the sunshine and the love on the sidewalk.  One elderly neighbor came down that afternoon and told us that when she got up to get the paper that morning that she was so delighted to see hearts on her stairs (as Anna also made sure that everyone had some extra love on their stairs leading down to the sidewalk!), and she told us that it brightened her day to no end. 

Anna and Dani took a walk later yesterday afternoon and counted the hearts just between 52nd and 55th.  There were 814 hearts on our block alone!! (That does not even count the other hearts we put in front of some friends' house down past 50th street!)   I'll admit that I'm a bit sore today from the chalk workout on Saturday night, but it was so much fun and so worth it. It might just become our new neighborhood tradition along with the Easter cross! (The Hestads said they want to help next year with the festivities on the night before Easter so it will be fun to have some accomplices!) 



We look a little batty after we made it all the way to the end of the street 


















No comments:

Post a Comment