Friday, August 10, 2012

Holden Evening Prayer- Advent in August :)

When we were at St. John's during Advent, we used a liturgy  called Holden Evening Prayer by Marty Haugen. When I first experienced it there, I felt that I was standing on holy ground.  One of the beautiful parts about liturgy as a whole  is that I feel like I am in the ocean as the words and music wash over me and remind me who I am and where I belong, especially when I don't have words to express my place.  During one part of this particular service in Advent, we sing the same verses in a call and response fashion. It is beautiful at St. John's too because Debbie Sousa has one of the most crystal clear voices around and I am literally stopped in my tracks when she sings. 


Probably my favorite part is when we sing the prayers of petition - it is much like a lullaby. The cantor (usually Debbie) offers specific petitions as the congregation hums gently. We all follow the petitions singing the response, "God of mercy, hold us in love." The whole practice of this prayer service seems permeated with gentleness and compassion. I love it. Love it. love it. love it.

One of the best things is when I am in the middle of something (like on a random day like today in August that is nowhere near Advent) and this music comes washing over me, surprising me and giving me strength, inexplicable peace and an anchoring of sorts.  It was the lullaby that got me through this day. There was a time this afternoon when Anna was frustrated about something when I snuggled up next to her and sang this song, and it was like a magic spell that soothed her soul.  While I was doing dishes today, this was my mantra.  It kept swirling around in my head and began to sink down into my soul deeper and deeper as the day went on. 

God of mercy, hold us in love. 

It was the perfect prayer that hit the spot in so many ways for me today.  What else do we need than to be held in the arms of His mercy and love? 

click on #17 of the songs listed here for a taste of this liturgy: 



















No comments:

Post a Comment