Thursday, August 13, 2026

Fan Mail

When I was in Kenya, Anna called to tell me that I had received a postcard from the one and only Ross Gay.  (If you are not familiar with him, he is the author of Inciting Joy and The Book of Delights, and I am a big fan!).  I was so excited to come home and read it! It took a little deciphering to make out the handwriting, but Anna and I did pretty well with both of us working on it together.

I had found an address online for his office at Indiana University and mailed him a letter when I got back from Boston. And lo and behold—he got it and wrote me this delightful postcard back!!

Dear Emily, Thank you for your notes! And congrats on the joy marathon. You're right- I loved your outfit. What a beautiful way to run, to train-- joyfully, with joy in mind. And to do it during a marathon, with the pain and the endurance and you know- these precious fleeting bodies. Grateful to have been out there with you. I've been writing about dunking, and I've realized I really smile when I jump my hardest. There is something of the Snoopy to me when I do. And yes, Peanuts is my favorite of all cartoons, I think. But I sure love Snoopy! Okay- again, thank you! Grateful to you. 
Yes! 
Ross Gay 
Also, I'm going to steal that teaching question. So good. Thank you. 


post marathon picture holding Ross Gay's book Inciting Joy 
(I printed this picture off and sent it to him along with the letter below) 


No comments:

Post a Comment