Monday, October 9, 2023

Answered Prayers

I wrote a prayer for the night before the New York marathon and read it with Anna and Janie the night before Chicago as well. Below is an updated one for this amazing run: 

O Lord and giver of life and strength,
Thank you for this gift!
Help me to connect with this place and with my people as I go run this race.
I pray for health and strength and daily bread for the miles ahead. 
May I pay attention and notice the life all around me and see the surprises of grace along the way.
May I hear God’s invitational whispers in each mile.
May I revel in the gift of my health and of this race and of this one wild and precious life.
Please give me stamina and agency in my body as I run my happy pace.
May spaciousness fill my heart, soul, and mind, and may my hands be open to give and receive the abundance this race offers.
May I recognize the face of God in my fellow runners and in those who cheer me on.
May I bring some joy to those I meet and greet along the way- through the gold stars on my running shoes and my silly cape and my smiles. 
May my running be a true expression of worship as I remember I am beloved and as I remember and celebrate that this has been a thread woven through my life deepening my connection with God. 
May I find companionship with those Wonder Women I’ve named as my mile markers, and may I hear how the Spirit is inviting me to pray for their journeys.
May I also find companionship with myself, emerging stronger, more joyful, more truly me.
May God be in every step, may I feel God’s delight in each stride, and may I finish strong. 
Amen and amen.

Jason capturing a photo of me stopping to take a quick selfie with Janie and Anna

just a wee bit excited to see folks! 

taking a picture of Jason and Janie cheering on the side 
as Anna runs with me for a bit near the finish 

No comments:

Post a Comment