Thursday, March 28, 2019

aggressive joy


My heart, O God, is steadfast;
    I will sing and make music with all my soul.
Awake, harp and lyre!
    I will awaken the dawn.
 I will praise you, Lord, among the nations;
    I will sing of you among the peoples.
 For great is your love, higher than the heavens;
    your faithfulness reaches to the skies.

Psalm 108:1-4

 


This psalm is an expression of a “steadfast” heart, one with courage (vs. 1).  There is an aggressive joy here. Even if it is dark, the psalmist’s song to God will bring on the dawn (vs 2).  This is not a naïve optimism but a confidence in God, literally pieced together out of former experiences of great vulnerability and need. This is why the Bible talks about strength coming out of weakness.  The more times we are in narrow straights and we see God bring us through, the more peace and courage we will have as time goes on. –Tim Keller The Songs of Jesus 


No comments:

Post a Comment