Monday, September 1, 2014

Rules of the Road


One of the phrases that I always think of when I think of my times in India is that these times are an “assault on your senses.”  When we arrived, I was once again bombarded by sights, sounds, smells, colors, textures that are not a part of my normal life back on 16th Avenue NE in Seattle. 
This post below is what I wrote back in 2012 about experience of being in traffic when I found myself wide-eyed at the wonder and wildness of India for the first time.

October 6, 2012
Rules of the Road

Rule #1 about driving in India: THERE ARE NO RULES! 
I am so thankful that our friend Ratnakar is such a good driver as there is no way that I would be able to get down the street in one piece if I were behind the wheel. 
The best picture I can give you is that when we are driving, I feel like I am playing a high speed car racing video game. (And yet, I will say that this kind of experience is way more intense than any driving video game that is out there!)  
There are so many things you have to watch out for to stay on course. Lots of noise and honking all around. People walking down the middle of the street, cows in the road, dogs, motorcycles, auto rickshaws, trucks, tractors with coconuts piled on top, buses, school buses, cars.  Then to add some more challenges, try driving at night where many people do not have lights on their bikes or any way to see them on the road if they are walking.  
For the millions of people I have seen on motorcycles, I have seen no helmets and have seen small kids sitting on laps of the drivers of the motorcycles. Carseats for kids? Not so much! 
Many times, it feels like we are threading the needle as we squeeze our way between a large bus on one side and a man on a bicycle on the other side. Saying that it is a "tight fit" does not begin to describe it.   Generally drivers go on the left side of the road, but if there is someone in the way, it is the norm to just go into the right lane (while honking) to pass. It feels like the constant game of playing "chicken" here on the road.  There are millions of near head-on collisions here everyday, but that is just the way of the world here. 
We have gone through four-lane intersections with no roundabout, traffic lights, or stop signs. And we have seen rear bumpers of slow trucks that asked other drivers to honk when passing, as if there isn't enough honking. One friend concluded that the horn in India replaces the turn signal, rear-view mirror, and traffic lights in the US.
I am so thankful for travel mercies and for the many angels that are working overtime to protect us while we are on the road!  



This time around, while I still hold my breath when it seems that we might hit a cow in the middle of the road or when a car seems to be coming straight toward us, I am not as much on the edge.  I have relaxed a bit knowing that this is India. Horns honking 24/7, playing dodge in traffic—this is normal here.  I am surprised and thankful that I am adjusting so quickly this time around to this new normal and that it does not long for this place to feel like home.



No comments:

Post a Comment