Thursday, September 4, 2014

august twenty-fourteen


ALL in the golden afternoon
Full leisurely we glide;
For both our oars, with little skill,
By little arms are plied,
While little hands make vain pretence
Our wanderings to guide.
-Lewis Carroll's poem at the beginning of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland 




"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." -Anais Nin 

If there has come to us the miracle of friendship, if there is a soul to which our soul has been drawn, it is surely worthwhile being loyal and true. – Hugh Black 




The rare moment is not the moment when a tree is something worth looking at, but the moment when we are capable of seeing. 
-Joseph Wood Krutch


Prayer of Seven Directions
With beauty before me, may I walk.
With beauty behind me, may I walk.
With beauty on my right, may I walk.
With beauty on my left. may I walk.
With beauty above me, may I walk.
With beauty below me, may I walk.
With beauty inside me, may I walk.
Wandering on a trail of beauty, lively, I walk.
-Adapted from a Navajo prayer


It’s not hard to see that “the world is charged with the grandeur of God” 
(Gerard Manley Hopkins) in Glacier National Park in Montana  



What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare. 
No time to stand beneath the boughs and stare as long as sheep or cows. 
No time to see, when woods we pass, where squirrels hide their nuts in grass, 
No time to see, in broad daylight, streams full of stars, like skies at night. 
No time to turn at Beauty's glance, and watch her feet, how they can dance. 
No time to wait till her mouth can enrich that smile her eyes began. 
A poor life this is if, full of care, we have not time to stand and stare. 

-W.D. Davies  (quoted from the book pictured above-- Pilgrim Walk by Susanne Hassell

Smile at each other; smile at your wife, smile at your husband, smile at your children, smile at each other – it doesn’t matter who it is – and that will help you to grow up in greater love for each other. ~ Mother Teresa


“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” -Dr. Seuss 


 “Joy is always a function of gratitude — and gratitude is always a function of perspective.  If we are going to change our lives, what we’re going to have to change is the way we see.” –Ann Voskamp

The secret to joy is to keep seeking God where we struggle to see where He is. -Ann Voskamp 



India 2014 (August 26- September 4) 
(all posts listed on this link for more stories from this whirlwind trip) 

The night is beautiful,

So the faces of my people.
The stars are beautiful,

So the eyes of my people.
Beautiful, also, is the sun.

Beautiful, also, are the souls of my people.

-Langston Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment