Monday, September 3, 2012

Blessing of the Backpacks

We have a back to school tradition that we got from St. John's in Knoxville and we brought it out here to the NW... It is short and sweet, and we call it the "Blessing of the Backpacks." 

I asked Anna, Taylor, Liam and Micah to think of something that will be in their backpack in the next year and to imagine how that could be used to the glory of God in their class in the next year.  I asked them how they could use some of these things to love others in their classes.  They were kind of goofy in some of their answers, but they eventually got on track.  It is my hope that it will sink in over the years that we are called to be blessings to others wherever we go... 

Blessing of the Backpacks
Loving God, as another school year begins, bless me as a student with an open mind and an eager spirit. Help me use all of your gifts to learn more about myself and the world around me.  Use the books in my backpack to challenge me. Use the paper and pencil to capture my words and pictures. Use the scissors and markers and crayons and stickers to encourage my creativity.  God, you have blessed me with so many gifts! Whenever I see this card, let it be a reminder of your call to be a blessing in the lives of others: my parents, my teachers, and my classmates. In Jesus’ name, Amen!” 

gathered on our front porch after church on Sunday night 



Emily and Bill offering the blessing to the kids 



ready for a new school year! 




No comments:

Post a Comment