Saturday, September 8, 2012

trip to India!

 “God put me here; God rescued me for a reason.  

When I leave this world, [I want to know that] I did everything 
I needed to do on earth to give hope to others, 
to trickle down that blessing I have been given, 
and to help them know that they do matter
 because they are God’s people. 
That’s what I’m here for.” 
–Lopez Lomong (Olympic runner from Sudan) 


Over the last year, a trip has been in the works to visit the 14 children that are being sponsored there by Children of the Kingdom.  Amy Bernard, another member of the board of Share International, and I will be going to Rajamundry, India from October 1-10.  

Some of you all know that our family has just moved to Seattle, and we have had quite the moving saga this summer. When Amy and I began working on this trip, I had no idea that I would be barely moved into our new house here in Seattle (as I write this email, our furniture still has not arrived) and just beginning a new job here working with teachers, but I am so thankful for this opportunity that is before me in just about 3 weeks and the joy set before me in this upcoming trip. 

The Messiah Gospel Ministry is Share International's outreach arm in India. SIMGM is currently reaching and working among 5,000 of the Dalit people-group living in the city of Rajahmundry and the surrounding remote villages in Andhra Pradesh District. The Dalit people have been a historically outcast group, with little opportunities for advancement in society through education or business.
Previously referred to as the “Untouchables”, the word “Dalit” comes from the Marathi language, and means “ground”, “suppressed”, “crushed”, or “broken to pieces”. Believing that “the Lord is near to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit” (Psalm 34:18), this ministry provides hope to the Dalit people.

In 2005 Share International started a one-year sewing training program among the Dalit women. This program empowers Dalit women by teaching them about God’s plan and purpose for their lives and by giving them marketable skills. At the end of the program, Share International donates a sewing machine to each student so that they can support their families and their churches by running small sewing businesses in their villages. The program has been 100% successful, with a total of 75 women having graduated from the one-year program. 

January 2010 marked the beginning of the expansion of the Kenyan child sponsorship program to the some of the Dalit children in India. We now have 14 children sponsored in India.  

As some of you know, I wear several rings on my hands. On my left hand, I wear my wedding ring. On my right hand, I have a set of 4 stacking rings. On one ring is my husband's name. On the second ring are my two children's names. On the third ring are my godchildren's names. The fourth ring says "Children of the Kingdom." 


God has impressed it upon my heart that these children in Kenya and in India are my children too. They have been entrusted to me, and so with a mother's heart, I am going to visit and to bring encouragement to them. This trip is about showing up and being the hands and feet of Christ to hug these children and let them know they are loved and are valued.  It is my hope that Amy and I will do everything we need to do on this trip to give hope to others and to trickle down the blessings we have been given. We too want to help these children and families we meet to know that they do matter and that they are children of an awesome King! 

We would LOVE your prayers for this trip and for the children there. If you would like to commit to pray, please choose one day between October 1-10 to pray and email me to let me know what day you are choosing.  I will make sure to pray for you on that day as well so that we are "meeting" in prayer on that day.  While we are there, we will be visiting the women in the sewing ministry and visiting each of the families of the children who are being sponsored. We will get to see some of the schools they are attending and get a taste for what life is like for them in this place. We will host a small banquet for the children as well to celebrate together what God is doing there in this small corner of the world. 


I cannot wait to share with you some of the beauty that God shows us in these children there! 

With MUCH joy and gratitude, 
Emily Huff 

No comments:

Post a Comment