Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Summer Intentions


We now have about three weeks until school gets out.  I recently listened to a talk again on a CD that my friend Susanne gave a few years ago and I am challenged to think about the summer with some more intentionality: 
Here's what Susanne challenged us to do: 
1) ask your kids, "what do you want to do this summer?" (have kids brainstorm and put their ideas on a list. Just because it goes on a list does not mean you will do it, but it's a great way to get ideas on the table you  may not have thought of!) 
2) ask them "what do you want to do for others?" 
3) (question for you) what do you want to do to enrich your marriage?  

I also saw somewhere these four categories to brainstorm: 
TO DO
TO LEARN
TO READ
TO VISIT 

We've started our lists and I'm looking forward to seeing how this summer is going to unfold. 

I love this quote below as we think about the summer ahead: 
"My favorite part of my yoga class is when my teacher asks us to ‘set an intention’ at the beginning of class….At the end, she often asks us to check back in with that intention that we set at the beginning of class.  I like that part; it means something to me. I have begun to incorporate this idea into other areas of my life. I try to set an intention before I run, work out, write, meet up with a friend, make a speech, eat a meal, discipline my children, state my opinion, or say yes or no to a request.  The more I set intentions, the more I realize how many opportunities I have to do so in the span of a week, a day, or even an hour.  I realize how often in the past I have not checked in with my intention or even made one to begin with.  How easy it is to waste time, get off track, or miss the moment when I forget where my heart is?"  -Kristin Armstrong Mile Markers








No comments:

Post a Comment