Saturday, April 11, 2015

a cairn around my neck


My new favorite piece of jewelry is a cairn necklace 
that Jason and I got from an artist in the Methow Valley named Nicole Ringgold.  

This is what her website says about this work of art: 
"Cairn is a man-made stack of stones. It comes from the Scottish Gaelic: càrn. Cairns are found all over the world in uplands, on moorland and mountaintops, near waterways, on sea cliffs, and in barren desert and tundra areas.
Today, cairns are generally erected as landmarks. Throughout history, they have also been built as tombs, or used for defensive, hunting, ceremonial, and other purposes.  The artist hand selected the rocks along the banks of the river by her home. Then she hollows out and drills the rocks.
River rocks symbolize strength, age, wisdom, and earth." 

Jason and I have several little cairns set up on our dresser in our bedroom of rocks that we have collected on special trips together.  If a drawer is closed with too much force or if something bumps against them, then I have to stack them again.  The simple practice of stacking them on a regular basis reminds me that our relationships take constant rebuilding with patience and care and intention. 


These stones also remind me of the Ebenezer stones that we have created at different points too.  I Samuel 7:12 says, “Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Jeshanah, and named it Ebenezer; for he said, “Thus far the LORD has helped us.” 
He was erecting a stone to remember the Lord’s help, the Lord’s blessings, and the Lord’s faithfulness after a time of trial and hardship.  Ebenezer is a combination of two Hebrew words that means “stone of help.”

This necklace will certainly be a symbol to me of God's help along the way... not just showing me what He does for us, but also reminding me of God’s Never Stopping, Never Giving Up, Unbreaking, Always and Forever Love at every step. 


No comments:

Post a Comment