Monday, May 11, 2015

Poppy's Mama

a little puppet that I gave to Anna yesterday for Mother's Day 
because she is such a wonderful mama to Poppy.... 
"What I know now is that almost every woman mothers, in one way or another. I guess I used to think it was an all-at-once thing, that you go to the hospital a woman and come out a mother, like going through a car wash with a dirty car and coming out with a clean one.  But now that I am a mother, what is very clear to me is that I’ve been mothered by a whole tribe of women, some who had children of their own, and some who didn’t.  I thank God for each one of them, and thank them for mothering me when I needed it, and for giving me such a rich variety of images for what it means to be a mother. And also now that I am a mother, I understand what Mother’s Day is about: it’s about looking through our lives and recognizing the act of mothering everywhere we see it, and more than that, recognizing that when any of us mother- when we listen, nurture, nourish, protect- we’re doing sacred work."  -Shauna Niequist

No comments:

Post a Comment