Thursday, November 5, 2015

perspective

Today, I took Anna to school around 7:30 and returned with a short window from 8-9 before I was going to take Taylor to school. I'd tucked my purse under the driver's seat since I was not going to be inside long, and I locked the doors. But when Taylor and I walked out to the car, there was glass everywhere from my shattered window and my purse was gone. 


Of course this all meant I was in for lots of phone calls and logistics to try to figure out everything I needed to do to get the window fixed, to get a new license and ID cards, etc.  Certainly it was a big mess to deal with that I had not anticipated today.  And to consider why someone would do this (and how brazen it was in broad daylight this morning!) was so crazy.  

Anyway, as I was waiting at the glass repair place this afternoon, I was working on my Children of the Kingdom annual reports and I came across this story about this boy named Philemon that brought tears to my eyes and brought such perspective.   

He lost both his parents to tuberculosis this past year and is living with his grandmother.  He tried to take his 8th grade national exams last year but did not pass (I imagine because he was going through so much with the loss he was experiencing) and he was put back two grades (back to 7th grade) to help him try to improve.  He has done a lot better this year and is on track to move back into 8th grade next year.  As I looked at this picture, I was struck with the amazing beauty of this child despite all he has gone through in the last year.  His eyes are full of hope. His smile is full of grace. 

There is brokeness in the world for sure- 
But I am so grateful for the ways that God shows up in the midst of shattered glass, for perspective and for life.  

Giving thanks tonight for Philemon and for the life we've been given... 

No comments:

Post a Comment