Thursday, April 4, 2019

Today is a Blank Page

I read this yesterday from a book Tracey gave me for Christmas a few years ago and was so grateful for the good words and reminder here. (Thanks, T, for the gift that keeps on giving!)  

"Sometimes I look back on my life and I want to delete that day, 
that stupid mistake, 
that rash decision, 
that agonizing seventy-two-hour period, 
that blow-up, 
that breakdown, 
that embarrassing infraction, 
that careless slip of the tongue. 
I want to delete them from my life as if they never happened. 
Because regret hurts, shame burns, remorse sticks. 
But then I have a heart-to-heart with my almost-teenage daughter, 
I have an honest dialogue with a friend, 
I have a little talk with myself, 
and I realize something. 
If I were to delete my most regretful experiences, 
I wouldn't be here, on this particular page, in the story of my life. 
I wouldn't have the wisdom that allows me to look in my child's eyes and say, "I know how it feels to never want to show your face again. I survived, and I know you will too." 
I wouldn't have the compassion to hold my friend's hand and say, 
"That happened to me too. You are not alone." 
I wouldn't have the experience that causes me to stop and think 
before making the same mistake twice.  
If I deleted all the poor choices, the pitfalls, and the wrong turns of my life, 
my story would not be what it is today; I would not be who I am. 
But here's the best part: 
despite the marred pages of my past, 
today is a blank page
lined with yesterday's wisdoms and braveries
that came from falling down and getting back up. 
My story is not pretty; it's flawed, but it's real, and it's still going. 
Lately I've noticed a beautiful theme emerging: 
Hope renews. Self-compassion heals. Forgiveness frees. 
Today is a blank page. I will hold on to the hope that with each page, my story only gets better." 
-Rachel Macy Stafford, Only Love Today 

No comments:

Post a Comment