Tuesday, September 15, 2020

First Day Jitters

Today was my first day of teaching for fall quarter, and as usual ever since my first day of teaching back in 1995, I had the expected excitement and first day jitters.  I have one in-person class and three online classes that I am teaching. My face-to-face class was at 8 am today, and I was amazed that I had a full class ready to go that bright and early. 

Every year for the first day of class, I bring Play-Doh to class and have students make something out of it that represents something significant to them as a way to break the ice and for them to introduce themselves to each other. This year, it felt even more important to do something like this for a creative way to engage and begin to get to know each other as these freshmen are craving connection. 

It was strange to be teaching in a mask and to have students so spread apart, but it was such a gift to be back in a classroom and not on the screen for at least one of my classes. 





No comments:

Post a Comment