Wednesday, December 1, 2021

An Urgent Letter

This email was sent to us last week after I sent out our annual Thanksgiving update, and I read it to the family as we were headed out on a hike. It made all of us laugh out loud, and made me so grateful for this hilarious friend who has been such an encouragement to us over the years. 


Charles Jones

Fri, Nov 26, 5:53 AM (1 day ago)
to me
Dear Anna & Taylor,

This letter is so long overdue. I am so sorry I have waited this long to write. But seeing your pictures in the latest email from your “mom” I realize that I must write now before it is too late to really reach you. Well, it is probably too late (Anna already in college) but I must get this off my chest. 

For years I have received emails from your “parents” about your life and various events. And I must let you know that there is still hope for you both. I will list the key things you should remember and hopefully will change your life. 

1) Learn to laugh. For years I have seen the horrible things that you have endured in the hands of “Emily” and “Jason.” I have felt sorry for you that it seems you have never have had circumstances that encourage laughter. I am sorry for you. I would suggest you buy some joke books (maybe) and perhaps you can watch some funny TV shows. But whatever you do learn to smile and try to (at least) look happy. 

2) Get outside! Once again, I cannot tell you how my heart aches for you… all those pictures of you guys stuck in the home and not going out to really experience LIFE! I know your “parents” would like to keep you inside and train you to become Couch Potatoes (like your “parents”), but believe me there is another way to live!!

3) Get some exercise! This piece of advice is closely related to the point above… if you got outside more often you find that getting some exercise is most liberating. Do some fun things… like enroll in a 5K race or some other event that will force you to keep your, (now pudgy) bodies in shape. Just try something! You might have to plan events without your “parents” knowledge since they obviously are against almost any physical activity. 

4) Love God! It is a shame that your “parents” have not taught you how love God. Nor have they shown you how to integrate your faith with real life. But I promise you, that if you love God and get to know Him… your life will be so much more joyful. And by looking at your pictures… you two are in great need for joy & laughter. 

5) Love Others! This might be a real foreign concept for you, since your parents have been hermits in their approach to others. But I would beg you to learn how to see some good in people outside your doorstep. I think you will find a whole new life if you reject your “parents" tendencies of fear (even hate) towards other people. Mingle, laugh (see point 1 above) and I think you will find that there are actually many people who are worth knowing and they can value to your life. 

Well, that is all for now. I would love to write more but I don’t want to damage your (your already weak) psyches. I do so regret that we have lived in a different cities for most of your lives. I am lost in wonder when I think of the possibilities of having Ruth & I close to you… the pain we could have helped you to avoid. But we can’t live our lives always saying: Should-have; Could-have; Would-have. Please know that we will be praying for you as you enter Adulthood. I know you are not prepared to really live life well, but I have confidence in God, that He will intercede and give you the many things your “parents” have neglected. 

We love you and wish all the best…

Uncle Charlie & Aunt Ruth


--
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
            -- Blaise Pascal

Charlie & Ruth Jones
302 N. 20th St.
St. Joseph, MO 64501

Charlie cell: (816) 558-1261
Ruth cell: (816) 205-5696


picture we took to send to Charlie last Friday :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment