Sunday, February 12, 2023

The First of the Lasts...

Yesterday there were a lot of moving parts. Taylor went to ride Tiger Mountain all on his own in the morning (and I was so proud of him for doing it as it's a hard ride and I know he got a good workout along with fun coming down the technical trails). He came home, grabbed some food, and then headed to a soccer game. Taylor has been on and off with wanting us to come to his games through the years, and we did not think that much of it.  During that time while he was at the game, we had a phone date with Anna and were working on making dinner, and when Taylor was on his way home from the game, he called Jason and told him he played well.  He then shared that he'd just realized after the game that this was his last Celtic game because he is leaving for Northern Ireland on Thursday this week with his school trip. When the news was relayed to me, my heart sank and I burst into tears. Having just returned from the retreat, I had not looked ahead on the calendar either to put this together, and I was so sad to have missed his last game as he has played on this team for 7 years. It's the first of the many lasts that we will go through in the coming months. 

Taylor came home, and the three of us hugged in the kitchen and had a good cry together. I told him how sorry I was that we had not been there and we hugged again. 

I wrote my annual Valentine letter to Taylor last night, and I am hopeful that our miss last night will really lead us to some more intentionality for the second half of his senior year. I am grateful for how it will help us all be more thoughtful as we look ahead to the coming months. 


And a bonus that came out of this is that Taylor did invite us to his basketball game this morning, and it was such a fun game to watch! He told us after that he was so happy we came as he scored 11 points in the game (including a 3-pointer). Grateful for resets and for grace that shows up through the cracks...

Taylor is #22 



some good comic relief in a text with Jaime last night over the whole thing: 

No comments:

Post a Comment