Saturday, December 9, 2023

A Banquet Fit for a King.... (Kenya 2023- Day 4)

This verse above was our theme for our banquet today, and it was such a fabulous celebration! 

Veronica pulled together such an amazing program with singing and dancing led by students, a couple of local Christian gospel singers, a hilarious skit from a parent that had the kids laughing so hard, cake ordered from a bakery in town, lunch made and served by some wonderful cooks we know, and speeches from her pastor along with two Children of the Kingdom alumni.  Over the years, we have hosted a number of these, and this by far was the very best one....


I brought two ridiculous star costumes (like the one Anna and Taylor both wore in Christmas pageants at different points), and our friend Patrick totally hammed it up sporting one for part of our banquet. 

We played the song "I Know Who I Am" during the time that Silale and Sabina (Children of the Kingdom alumni) gave crowns to all the kids saying to them, "You are a daughter/son of the King" with each crown they put on the children.... I handed out some gold necklaces, and Veronica gave out star earrings to the girls. As the kids all came through the line, I was struck with the stunning beauty of them all... and God gave me a glimpse of how He sees them with such deep delight..... If only we could see one another clearly like this ALL the time.... 











I gave the sermon today (which was my final project for my African Christianity class this fall quarter), and my hope and prayer is that some of the words I meditated on and shared were an encouragement to those who were there. 

last words of my sermon: 
" May your soul know its infinite worth because you are known and loved by the One who made the stars, and may you walk each day in light of that spilling that love over into the lives of all whom you meet." 



No comments:

Post a Comment