Friday, May 10, 2024

India 2024 - Day 5

Rajahmundry sunrise- May 10th 

Reflections from a Lectio reading of Psalm 118 with the students this morning for our devotion: 


What if we read Scripture
not as a thing to check off
our daily list of things to do
but as a way to spend time
with Someone who loves us
very much?
We can read and listen
not just to know about God
but to know Him.
It can become an encounter
that changes us
that expands our hearts
that reorients our perspective
that increases our love…
Such an encounter
can remind us
of the wonder of God.
Such an encounter
can point to the truths
that God wants to be with us,
that His mercy and love endure forever,
that He hears us and answers us when we call,
that we have nothing to fear,
that
this is the day the Lord has made
and that we can rejoice
and be glad in it.


(words bolded in light of one of my favorite reflections below from Amy Grant that I shared with them this morning after we read Psalm 118 in Telagu and in English a couple of times and talked about what words and phrases stood out and what invitations we heard through the reading together) 

When I wake up in the morning- regardless of the temperature, whether the sun is shining or the rain is pouring- I go outside. I speak aloud to the predawn darkness or the tail end of the moon just kissing the edge of the horizon or the 9 a.m. bright sun of a sleep-in Saturday morning. I say, “This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.” I say it out loud because I’m groggy. I say it out loud because I’m speaking it and hearing it.  And I don’t just say it once.

As the cobwebs and sleepy confusion start lifting from my brain, I keep saying that phrase, accenting different syllables, placing varying degrees of importance on different words.  “This is the day that the Lord has made.” This- the one I’m in right now. Not yesterday. As much as I want to reach back and relive something or reminisce or bring back somebody who’s gone or feel what I once felt- that’s all in the past. I can’t reach it, I can’t touch it, I can’t return even if I tried. The door is closed. This day- the one I’m standing in- is the day the Lord has made. This is it. How I live this day is what matters.

“This is the day that the Lord has made.” If God made this day, if He intended me to wake up this day, then there’s purpose in it. It wasn’t made because he was bored and had nothing better to do. He created it because that’s his nature- he is creative. And he creates for his pleasure. And here I am right in the middle of a creation that was provided for his pleasure. Where do I fit? How am I a part of it? These questions start turning in my head.

I will rejoice and be glad in it.” I’ve got several choices ahead of me. I can worry. I can fear. I can hesitate. I can plan. I can be regretful. But these first words out of my mouth- I will rejoice- remind me that this, too, is an option. I have the option to choose rejoicing and to be glad.

As I speak , I feel my senses waking up. I hear the chatter of the birds. I smell the air. I feel the wetness from the dew on my feet. This is my early morning meditation.. In whatever mental state I might happen to be, I can greet the day and engage my spirit for the hours ahead. -Amy Grant


group I nicknamed "Morning Glory" as we have spent some very special times together starting the day reading Scripture together (Tuesday's group was bigger as many of the kids from the program joined us, but these are three students who are staying at the Thota house during summer holiday so I get to spend the most time with them) 

daily cow picture taken in honor of Amy Bernard as we have some priceless cow pictures together over the years  (see photo below from 2014) 



monkey crossing 

just another morning walk with monkeys 

Satish's dog Leo :) 

more love in a bowl from the magical Thota kitchen (potato curry for lunch) 
Not pictured is the ginger curry for breakfast that was incredible too!! 
(The generosity from their family is over the top as they are making multiple dishes each day so I can try lots of Indian recipes whereas they generally would only make one per day) 

with Pitta Rahul and Pitta Rejeev

  
Rahul (left) and Rajeev (right)- 2012 

  
Rahul (left) and Rajeev (right)- 2014

  
Rahul (left) and Rajeev (right)- 2024

with Kalyan and Mahesh (new students added to the program since I was here the last time in 2018 
so there are no throwback photos below!) 

with Anu Deepthi and her mom and uncle 

 
We had some down time this afternoon and I suggested a makeshift game of Pictionary with Amaravathi and Harshavardini. We were laughing so hard at one point that Ratnakar's mom came over to see what we were up to and joined in the fun for a while (which was VERY sweet to have that time with her too!) 


Here is one of the "Emily things" that made us laugh so hard-- I do not have any drawing skills (except hearts and butterflies with sidewalk chalk), and I am in need of serious help in trying to draw a giraffe. 

visiting Joshi Preanov and Joy Navakathangi this evening 


💓

amen and amen.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment