Tuesday, December 24, 2013

let my life be a pageant...

pageant [ˈpædʒənt]  n
1. an elaborate colourful parade or display portraying scenes from history, esp one involving rich costume
2. any magnificent or showy display, procession, etc.
[from Medieval Latin pāgina scene of a play, from Latin: page1]


Dixon gave the sermon at the Christmas Eve service tonight and reminded us that as we participated in the service watching the camels, shepherds, sheep, angels and wise men that our lives should be a pageant.  Our very lives should be telling God's story of hope, of love and of reconciliation.  As I look back at these pictures of Anna and Taylor as the camel tonight, I am reminded of this grand narrative that I do indeed base my life upon.  I give thanks tonight for a baby born in this world that brought joy to a very weary world. I give thanks for the good news of Emmanuel- God with us- in those place in our lives that are messy and broken and in need of healing.  I give thanks for this good news of redemption on this Christmas Eve... 
Let it be so that my life indeed does tell this story... 
getting ready for the pageant... 
with a spray bottle in hand (for the camel spitting- of course!) 

While shepherds watched their flocks by night,
All seated on the ground,
The angel of the Lord came down,
And glory shone around.
"Fear not," said he, for mighty dread
Had seized their troubled minds;
"Glad tidings of great joy I bring
To you and all mankind.

It's almost time.... 


Mary and Joseph coming 

a wise man and a camel 



a sheep with a thumb in her mouth 



sweet Mary and the baby... 

angels we have heard on high... 



Caroline & Anna at St. B's 

Joseph 

runaway sheep 

the 2013 pageant 

My friend Kristin took this picture of her daughter's angel wings 
propped against the pew behind me... 



No comments:

Post a Comment