Saturday, January 31, 2015

January Twenty-Fifteen

January 2015 
 Oh! May the God of green hope fill you up with joy, fill you up with peace, so that your believing lives, filled with the life-giving energy of the Holy Spirit, will brim over with hope! 
Romans 15:13 (The Message) - picture from Ravenna Park 



Mounds of cheer and a happy new year…



We must learn to celebrate. I say learn to celebrate because celebration is not just a spontaneous event. We have to discover what celebration is. Our world doesn’t know much abut celebration. We know quite a bit about parties, where we are artificially stimulated with alcohol to have fun. We know what movies and distractions are. But do we know what celebration is? Do we know how to celebrate our togetherness, our being one body? Do we really know how to use all that is human and divine to celebrate together
–Jean Vanier

God of this new year, we are walking into mystery. We face the future, not knowing what the days and months will bring to us or how we will respond. Be love in us as we journey. Deepen our faith to see all of life through your eyes. Fill us with hope and an abiding trust that you swell in us amidst all our joys and sorrows. Thank you for the gift of being able to rise each day with the assurance of your walking through the day with us. 
God of this new year, we praise you. Amen.
(adapted from "A New Year's Blessing," by Joyce Rupp, May I Have This Dance?) 

running errands (literally) with their mama 

fun and games 

Trust Fall at our small group... 

“The incredible gift of the ordinary! Glory comes streaming from the table of daily life.”
- Macrina Wiederkehr





   Be Still in Haste
How quietly I
begin again
from this moment
looking at the
clock, I start over
so much time has
passed, and is equaled
by whatever
split-second is present
from this
moment this moment
is the first
-Wendell Berry (Poetry Magazine, September 1962) 

Patient Trust
Above all, trust in the slow work of God.
 We are quite naturally impatient in everything
 to reach the end without delay.
 We should like to skip the intermediate stages.
 We are impatient of being on the way to something
 unknown, something new.
  And yet it is the law of all progress 
that it is made by passing through 
some stages of instability—
and that it may take a very long time. And so I think it is with you;
 your ideas mature gradually—let them grow, 
let them shape themselves, without undue haste.
  Don’t try to force them on,
as though  you could be today what time 
(that is to say, grace and circumstances 
acting on your own good will) 
will make of you tomorrow.  Only God could say what this new spirit
 gradually forming within you will be.
  Give Our Lord the benefit of believing 
that his hand is leading you, 
and accept the anxiety of feeling yourself 
in suspense and incomplete.
—Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

after a year of trying and lots of hand-holding, I finally got it! :) 
When I picked up unicycling a year ago, one friend told me it was crazy. He said it was going to take way too much time.  But I loved the fact that our kids had learned to ride from their fabulous PE teacher, and I wanted to be able to do it with them.  And on top of that, the kids are not yet embarrassed by me (and I know those days might be numbered) so I figured why not pick up something as zany and whimsical as learning to ride a unicycle?!   At least if all else fails, we could all join the circus!  Over the last year, I've had lots of folks so kind to hold my hand and "take me for a walk" as I was learning.  I am thankful for this picture of community in my life and of the role others have played in supporting me in the journey (even around something as silly as them helping me ride on one wheel...) 
This video below is a tribute to the folks who have held my hand over this last year: 









1 comment:

  1. I love that Jean Vanier quote! So powerful. And I'm always inspired by YOU!

    ReplyDelete