Thursday, September 21, 2017

Harry Potter Day 2017 at SPU

I have always loved the beginning of a school year--- the shiny new pencils, pens, notebooks and paper.  I can remember that as a student, there was the anticipation of what my teachers would be like, the excitement about seeing old friends and making new ones, and the planning about what my school outfit might be (even when I wore uniforms in high school- I guess I still tried to pick something distinctive.)   

As an elementary teacher, I remember working all summer to get ready preparing the room for my students and working hard to choose just the right read-aloud for the first day.  

As a college professor now, I still love the beginning of the school year and especially love the pomp and circumstance that SPU brings to some of the orientation events. Today was new student convocation where students come to hear addresses from the provost and president of the university and to gather in the center of the gym where we pray for them and then give them an SPU pin to remember the day.  These rituals of SPU continue to be beautiful markers of life as a community.  We were all invited to shape this community and to be shaped by it, and we sang "Be Thou My Vision" to remind us of our anchor. 

So thankful that Mike Langford brought the wand I gave him last year(without any reminder from me to show up with it in hand) and that we could take the second annual Harry Potter picture to commemorate the day.  (Don't worry- this picture was taken before we went into the gym with the students,  and I tucked my costume in my bag as we lined up.  Please let it be noted that no spells were cast on the new students.) 



Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light
Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one
Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art
High King of Heaven, my victory won
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heav’n’s Sun
Heart of my own heart, whate’er befall
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all






No comments:

Post a Comment