Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Excellence in Teaching

I wrote the following post to Facebook last night (which I am not on very much anymore, but I figured it was a broader way to give a bigger shout out to those who have shaped me so deeply), and here it is: 

We did six-word memoirs for a meeting I led last week, and mine was "You can see you're growing, right?" to quote something Jason has told me a few times over the last few years as I've tried to lean into my strengths and learn from my mistakes over time as a teacher.
And then today, I was so honored and surprised to receive the Excellence in Teaching award at the faculty luncheon today at Seattle Pacific University. It made me reflect on so many people who have been such a big part of my growth and who have shaped my teaching practices through the years because this did not come easily to me at the beginning.
First and foremost, Jason has been my wingman, as he is always the person I run my ideas and lessons by, and he makes everything I do better. Next, my colleagues and friends in the School of Education at Seattle Pacific University have been some of my best teachers- and I could not have asked for better models and support to help me keep learning and growing through this work each day. (Jill R. Heiney-Smith, Nalline Baliram, Kirsten Bounds Koetje, Julie Antilla-Garza, Peter Renn, Nyaradzo Mvududu, Cynthia Luxon Strong, Mayra Villalobos, Shana Hainzinger, Rachael Kamwesa, Cher Igelman Edwards,Robin Henrikson, Krystle Jalalian Chursky, Kris Gritter, Xanasha Rose, Sophia Ross Eckert, Dyana Herron, Kristi Kanehen, Kate Scott, Mare Sullivan, Dotty Anderson, Christopher T. F. Hanson, Lina LH, Erica Swanson, Andrew Ryder, Christy McGraw, and others in the SOE who are not on Facebook!) There is indeed a contagious brightness in our department, and I learn so much from these incredible people.
Mike Langford (my dear friend and professor too!) along with others in the School of Theology have taught me well in my masters program that I’m currently in, and I am a better teacher for having become a student again over the last two years. Their kindness, care, high expectations, and deep faith have been inspirational.
And then there’s Erin Hitchcock McIntosh from Seattle Urban Academy, Lanie Nowell from Zion Prep, Kristine Jung, Holly Senaga, Greta Nehrenberg, Jody Flores, Raejean Gamiao from Thorndyke Elementary School, Abby Butler and Ann Neely from Vanderbilt University, Patty Stinger-Barnes, Amos Hatch, Chonika King, Gina Barclay-Mclaughlin, & Katie Barnes Cagle at University of Tennessee…..My own chemistry teacher from high school- George Sellers, and Anna and Taylor’s teachers through the years (Nelda Lee Sturgeon, Janet Reinholz and Michelle Yerón to name a few) have also made their indelible mark. My list could go on and on because I have observed masters of this craft who teach with such grace and skill and who have made me and their students feel seen, heard, honored, and celebrated.
So- this award goes out to all my teachers. And I celebrate that teaching is all about growing and learning and becoming. (As Michelangelo said at age 87: “I am still learning.”)
(And a shout out to Anna who decorated the house with banners and party hats and to a few neighbors who rallied to celebrate with me when I got home today! I love my home team.... Jaime Hestad, Kristi Brumbaugh, Zachary Mazzoncini)

Thanks be to God!


You can see the video here from the event: Just watch 14:39- 17:55:


No comments:

Post a Comment