Friday, August 29, 2014

There's no place like home...

The last couple of days have made me think about the phrase "There's no place like home" in another context.  Rather than conjuring up images of ruby red slippers, I am reminded of the power of being invited into someone else's home. 

Ratnakar has scheduled time for me to get to visit all of the children sponsored in Children of the Kingdom this week.  My cheeks literally hurt from smiling so much the past 24 hours as it has been such a gift to reconnect with the children and their families. 
It makes such a difference to sit down in these homes, soak up all the colors and sights and smells and to get a glimpse into their corner of the world. 

I have been humbled at the spaces carved out for me and for the gift of spending time with each of families in the places they call home.  I am so thankful to have a better context for each of the children's lives and to have more of an understanding of each of their stories.   I have certainly been taking mental pictures to serve as reference points for my life back in Seattle. 

"The night is beautiful,

So the faces of my people.
The stars are beautiful,

So the eyes of my people.
Beautiful, also, is the sun.

Beautiful, also, are the souls of my people."
-Langston Hughes 



  
humbling to see a picture of our family hanging in this home.... 


beautiful grandmother... 



welcome.... 



I love this picture because Madhavi is looking down at her brother Suresh trying to get him to smile. (Just like another brother and sister pair that I know!) 

pure gold... 

No comments:

Post a Comment