Saturday, March 25, 2017

ballerina body

Last night, Anna and I got to go to University of WA to hear Misty Copeland speak who was here for her book tour about her new book Ballerina Body.

In the book, she has compiled her best advice for "shaping up without the anxiety of trying to meet a certain body image.  Few people have as much experience with that mental battle as Copeland, 34, the first African American woman to become a principal dancer at American Ballet Theatre. She broke the mold of lithe, white ballerinas, though it wasn't easy. It took years to find a combination of exercises, types of food and mental preparation that left her feeling her best self.
'But when I did, not only did I feel fitter, not only was my body sleeker and more powerful, but I also had come to a realization that was more important than any other — I came to understand, to accept, that all along my body had been perfect for me.' " (from a USA Today article)

 We came home and watched a movie with Jason and Taylor after the book talk, and I was not surprised to see Anna looking beautifully poised and putting the rest of us to shame with her flexibility.  Misty Copeland is such an inspiration!!
 “I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday." -Misty Copeland  

“I always encourage younger dancers to surround themselves with support, to believe in themselves, to feel comfortable in their own skin and try not to get caught up in society’s standards of what’s acceptable, what’s beautiful. That’s really hard in this day and age.” -Misty Copeland

No comments:

Post a Comment