Friday, July 2, 2021

Anacortes to Cypress Island and Back Again

Early in the summer, Anna and I had planned a number of day hikes and a backpack trip as well to try to check off things that she had wanted to do before she heads to college in August. Unfortunately, since I found out that I have a stress fracture in my pelvis, I have been told that I am not allowed to run (or even walk long distances) for 8 weeks. My PT gave me permission to do the hike we did last week, but the backpack trip we had planned was definitely off limits. So, we brainstormed other things that we could do, and we swapped out the backpack trip we had on the books for an overnight sea kayaking trip. We have a very generous friend who loaned us his two sea kayaks, and another friend gave us suggestions of where to go. We ended up choosing a route where we could put in our boats at the Guemas Ferry terminal in Anacortes (with the added bonus that we got to see Nana and Papa who came to cheer us on as we left!) and then we paddled over to Cypress Island for the night before returning back today. It was one of the best overnight trips I have been on in a long time, and even though it was not the hiking trip as we originally planned, it was even better with the glorious NW sunset on the water and a new adventure that we got to share together. So grateful for all the times I am getting to spend with this amazing girl this summer before she launches! 

\









Our cell coverage was amazing, and when we got over to Cypress Island, we paddled into one cove first. Google Maps showed us where to go to find the campground! AMAZING! 


This little island was magical! Such a great place to camp for the night! 

sitting in Anna's hammock for dinner 

a view from the end of the island 

No comments:

Post a Comment