Sunday, March 3, 2013

Spring Retreat

Giving thanks that Tamara, Elizabeth and I got to go away for a women's retreat with UPC this weekend. What a sweet time of laughter, deep conversations, great food, fun running adventures in the woods, and a rich sense of belonging...

retreat at Islandwood on Bainbridge Island 
ferry ride to Bainbridge 

dinner at Pegasus Coffee on Bainbridge 
(we could not believe it when we got there that they were giving out free food and drinks! They had won a food contest and were having an open house that night- talk about a gift to start the weekend!) 

a look out the ferry window on the way to Bainbridge 

(theme of the weekend: John 15) 
"Jesus describes the intimacy that he offers as the connectedness between the vine and its branches.  I long to be grafted onto Jesus as a branch onto the vine so that all my life comes from the vine.  In communion with jesus, the vine, my little life can grow and bear fruit.  I know it, but I do not live it. Somehow I keep living as if there are other sources of life that I must explore, outside of Jesus.  But Jesus keeps saying, "Come back to me, give me all your burdens, all your worries, fears, and anxieties. Trust that with me you will find rest." 
-Henri Nouwen Sabbatical Journey 

Generous God, pruner and harvester of all my human efforts, teach me how to celebrate life's pains and sorroes so that I can discover in them a deeper love of you and a stronger hope in your promises.  Let me not see loss and failure as setbacks, but as opportunities for a more fruitful life. May you always abide in me. Amen. 

a fun run with Tamara that felt like a treasure hunt.... 
we found the tree house, the learning tree house, Mac's pond, the suspension bridge, the bird blind... a BEAUTIFUL place to explore!! 


the magical tree house 

the tree house from across the bog 



 dash to the ferry last night to make it back home... 



No comments:

Post a Comment