Thursday, June 20, 2013

Pixie Dust...

Before our trip to the San Juans, I read a book by Margaret Feinberg called Wonderstruck. She describes a trip she led to Scotland in which she prayed with great expectation for what God would reveal to her and to the group she was leading when they were there together: 

"I felt the iron weight of the pause as I grasped for the perfect way to express what I desired from God. I took a deep breath and plunged. “This sounds strange,” I apologized, “but I’m praying for pixie dust.” I might as well have vacuumed all the air out of the room. While a few stared uncomfortably at me, more than a dozen eyes darted back and forth in an almost unanimous expression: what have we gotten ourselves into? I kept talking. “More than anything, what I long for is our God, the One who bedazzled the heavens and razzle-dazzled the earth, to meet us in such a way during our time in Scotland that we find ourselves awestruck by his goodness and generosity, his provision and presence. I’m praying for pixie dust. I want to leave here with a sense of wonderment as we encounter and experience things only God can do.”
Margaret Feinberg Wonderstruck


In the same way, before we came on this trip, I too prayed for "pixie dust" for our time together, and I am so thankful for the way that I have seen some sparkles around us... 

Today, I had the gift of time to read a good book with a warm cup of tea in hand this morning, went on a long run with Saranell, and then got to kayak for an hour on this grey & rainy afternoon. It was beautiful-- paddling out by a ferry boat coming in, seeing 7 otters swimming to shore and scrambling up the path, and having a seal follow me for a bit and pop her head up three times in greeting. There were several points when the smile across my face could not have gotten any bigger as I was thankful to be in my pink kayak that I have had since I was 13 and to be in such a beautiful place. I felt so very alive... 

We've seen more eagles today along with foxes and deer too. Indeed, there is pixie dust all around... 



(more quotes from the book Wonderstruck below) 

When we choose to faithfully pray for wonder, we can’t remain the same.



A prayer for wonder invites God to begin transforming us from the inside out. 


When we pray for wonder and live eyes wide open to wonder, the tone and tenacity with which we live our lives changes. We become expectant to catch glimpses of God in ways we’ve never seen Him before. We begin dismissing mere chance and embracing divine appointments. 


Praying for wonder invites you to turn your eyes on God. A prayer for wonder invites you to look for God under, in, and behind every bush.


A prayer for wonder puts you on high alert for God and His handiwork and join to God in the great plan of redemption He’s unfolding throughout the earth.

The truth is praying for wonder will change you. Forever. And that’s a good thing.






As you pray for wonder today, pray that God will change you. Pray that you will experience and find God in all you do, everyday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment