Saturday, September 19, 2015

Cutthroat Classic 2015

Elizabeth and I zipped out of town last night for less than 24 hours for an excursion to the Methow Valley to run in the Cutthroat Classic. It's the second year I've done it, and the summit of this race has got to have one of the most breathtaking views in the world for a trail run. 
Following my tradition of running in honor of friends during races, 
I ran the race this morning in honor of our dear neighbor Cyd who is fighting cancer. 
When one runner behind me asked about the picture on my back that I had of Cyd, 
I told her that she is one of our neighbors who is such a rock in our community. 

As I ran, I listened to a mix that I made for Cyd, and it was so great to have some of the words of the songs help me along to pray for her this morning that spoke so loudly and clearly of God's love. 
Below are some of the words from the songs that jumped out at me on her behalf. 
 Higher than the mountains that I face
Stronger than the power of the grave
Constant through the trial and the change
One thing… Remains
Your love never fails, never gives up
Never runs out on me 
Your Love, Oh Lord
Reaches to the heavens
Your faithfulness
Stretches to the skies
Your righteousness
Is like the mighty mountain
Your justice flows like the ocean's tide
I will lift my voice
To worship You my King
And I will find my strength

In the shadow of Your wings
Your love is 
Like radiant diamonds
Bursting inside us
We cannot contain
Your love will
Surely come find us
Like blazing wildfires
Singing your name
God of mercy
Sweet love of mine
I have surrendered to your design
may this offering stretch across the sky
And these hallelujahs be multiplied.

(Just as we were coming to the summit, this song came on- PERFECT TIMING!) 
Standing on this mountain top
Looking just how far we've come
Knowing that for every step
You were with us
Kneeling on this battleground
Seeing just how much You've done
Knowing every victory
Was Your power in us
Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say
Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
Just as the sun was shining over the mountain, this song came on... - once again, such a gift! 
So I turn on the light and reveal all the glory
I am not afraid to bear all my weakness
Knowing in meekness, I have a kingdom to gain
Where there is peace and love in the light
In the light, I am not afraid
To let your light shine bright in my life, in my life

The last song that came on when I was finishing the race was Psalm 139 
that Randall Goodgame sings with the African Children’s Choir

You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue, you, Lord, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,”
even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you. For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand— when I awake, I am still with you.………

After I finished, I walked for a bit by myself looking up to the mountains with tears in my eyes.  I know that God has Cyd in the palm of His hand and that His love for her is more far reaching than the skies and mountains I got to see today. I am so grateful for a body that could run today and am thankful for the time to soak up the beauty with songs and prayer and a reminder that He is faithful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment