Friday, September 25, 2015

Harry Potter Day at SPU

Yesterday afternoon at SPU was Opening Convocation which includes the entire SPU community gathering to welcome new and returning students at the start of the academic year. The SPU president challenges the audience to embrace the opportunities ahead in the coming year. At the end of the ceremony, the students come to the middle of the auditorium and all the faculty surround them for the benediction. I love this tradition of starting the year off gathering around the students with prayer. 

All faculty are expected to come in regalia. Being that I did not have any regalia from my masters degree, I pieced an outfit together with a graduation robe snagged off Ebay and a borrowed cap and hood from my colleague down the hall. The only thing I wish I had brought to the ceremony was my Harry Potter wand. Maybe next year! 






Doesn't the woman on the stairs TOTALLY look like Professor McGonagall? 




Faculty get to give little SPU pins to the students and welcome them to the university. 
Marcet came down toward me when the students came in the middle 
so I was delighted to be able to give her a pin. :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment