Friday, October 5, 2012

The Spirit of Hospitality

Hospitality in India is extraordinary. Indians believe in the maxim, 'Atithi Devo Bahava', which means 'Guest is God'.  We have laughed about this as I have tried to offer to help with the dishes or any other chores, and they simply tell me that I am their guest and they kindly turn away my offers to help. It reminds me of the Rule of St. Benedict: "All guest to the monastary should be welcomed as Christ, because He will say, 'I was a stranger, and you took me in.' "

Hospitality is a true expression of faith working itself out in love. My friends here have included me in the very best that they have received and that they can offer. 

I read this in a book called Soul Space today and this fits right in with what I am experiencing in being included in this family here so beautifully: "An ancient Rabbi once asked his pupils how they could tell when the night had ended and the day was on its way back. 'Could it be,' asked another, 'when you see an animal in the distance and tell whether it is a sheep or a dog?'  'No,' answered the Rabbi. 'Could it be,' asked another, 'when you look at a tree in the distance and tell whether it is a fig tree or a peach tree?' 'No,' said the Rabbi.  'Well, then, what is it?' his pupils demanded. 'It is when you look on the face of any person and can see your brother or sister. Because if you cannot do this, then no matter what time it is, it is still night.' "  

Marjorie Thompson concludes her chapter on hospitality: "As we learn to receive God's hospitality to us, we will become more hospitable to God, to each other, and to our fellow creatures. This will make us a different kind of community.  Others will see something enticing in us. Perhaps they will even say "See how they love one another." (Soul Space pg 143) 

 

·       Anna gave me some of her crowns to share with the children and I have been using them in some of my talks to the children reminding them that they are daughters and sons of the King. Thanks Anna for these sweet gifts!!


·       little finger flashlights that we brought to share with kids when we visit their churches at night (thanks to Aunt T for the idea last Christmas when she gave several to Anna and Taylor in their stockings.) 


·       speaking today to a church in Malampudu (It was 147 km away. We kept asking for directions at the end since we took a different road due to the usual road being too difficult to travel on due to the rains. The folks we met kept telling us it was 2 km away each time we stopped... (once they told us 2, then someone said 5, then another said it was 2... so we joked that it was the longest 2 km we've ever gone...) 

No comments:

Post a Comment