Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Art of Bending

In my attempt to knock some things off the to-do list yesterday, I got stuck on the phone with Century Link and Comcast for a couple of hours in trying to resolve some issues we were having with our internet. Not quite what I had in mind. Then after I picked up the kids from school, Jason asked me to run an errand for him, but we had not communicated clearly about a few details on it and I could not track down what he needed.  Once again- not quite what I had in mind. 

There is an art of bending, of living in such a way that puts others needs before our own.  There is an art of presence of giving my attention to others fully and not being distracted or frustrated that I am being interrupted.  Without God's grace, this is impossible and I just feel resentful and fixate on my agenda. But, with my hand in His, I am gently reminded that interruptions can be invitations and opportunities given a different perspective.  

Watching Anna get ready for ballet, I see her bend and stretch. I too need God's grace to help me to bend and to stretch me so that I can dance each day with joy- whatever comes... especially when things come my way that were not quite what I had in mind. 




Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children. Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God. Ephesians 5:1-2 


Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.
You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Philippians 2: 3-5 (NLT) 

 Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand. Philippians 2:4 (The Message) 

Come let us bow down and bend the knee: let us kneel before the Lord our Maker.  (from Common Prayer this morning) 


This family figure above was staring me in the face as I was writing this and reflecting. It was beautiful to notice the bending of the parents and the stretching of the children. 
Giving thanks for the way God shapes us through our families... 


good words that wash over me on days like these.... 

Confession of Sin
Let us confess our sins against God and our neighbor.
Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone.  We have not loved you with our whole heart; we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves.  We are truly sorry and we humbly repent.  For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ, have mercy on us and forgive us; that we may delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your holy name. Amen


Assurance of Pardon
Before God, with the people of God, we have confessed to our brokenness; to the ways we wound our lives, the lives of others, and the life of the world.
God forgives us, Christ renews us, and the Spirit enables us to grow in love.
Amen.


Exchanging the Peace
As forgiven and reconciled people, O Christ, bind us with a bond of love that cannot be broken
The peace of the Lord be always with you.
And also with you.



No comments:

Post a Comment