Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Training

I have been logging in miles for Boston with my friends Catherine and Elizabeth. After one long Saturday run, Catherine sent me an email after she looked at the pace summary from her phone app. She was happy to report, "We're getting faster!" Some weeks are going better than others, but it is encouraging to hear that there has been some improvement.  That is indeed the point of training- to build up the endurance and strength needed when it comes time for the race.


I have been thinking about the metaphor of training a lot since a part of each of my days is dedicated to that right now.  Over the last few years, I have felt that with all the changes and the roller coaster of our two moves that we have been in training. And I feel like God has been building endurance, resilience, and strength in us through this. I hope that I have been getting faster at running to God for everything that comes my way, and I want to keep getting stronger in this direction.  

To quote my favorite Jesus Storybook Bible: "You see, Jesus was showing people that God would always love them-- with a Never Stopping, Never Giving Up, Unbreaking, Always and Forever Love. So they didn't need to hide anymore, or be afraid, or ashamed. They could stop running away from God. And they could run to him instead. As a little child runs into her daddy's arms.

This verse also comes to mind: "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."  (Philippians 3:14). 


So, I too press on toward this end that this would be the picture of my heart no matter what the circumstances are.  

Gotta run... :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment