Thursday, April 18, 2013

angels watching over me



I have seen many articles about the tragedy on Monday, and I have watched the news with the same images that are shown over and over from the explosions. One headline was titled: "Boston Marathon bombings: Runner feels 'angel' kept her, family out of harm's way."  
The runner who was interviewed said the following: 
“I definitely feel there was an angel on my shoulder of some sort because I was moving to the right and being in the right place (not to get hurt) and my kids were OK, but at the same time, I feel guilt. Other people aren’t all right. You can’t celebrate a finish. I had a wonderful race and talked to so many lovely people. But that’s totally irrelevant at this point because people are hurt.”

Along the same lines, I remember hearing a missionary speak at UPC many years ago who had been in Albania. She and her husband were sharing about a dangerous incident where they were at a hotel when gunfire broke out. Having been spared from a tragedy, they made the comment, "We believe that God protected us because he loved us."  

I talked to a friend about this after we both heard this, and he told me how difficult it had been to hear this as they had just gone through a tragedy in their family.  

Upon looking at this comment at first glance, one might not think anything is wrong with that statement or theology. However, the reverse logic on a comment like that would be that since some people were not protected that God did not love them.  Or to go back to the marathon article, one might begin to wonder why angels protected some and not others in the bombings. 

These two scenarios (the marathon article) and the testimony from a missionary in Bosnia challenge me so much to consider how I frame things. It matters. I don’t want to say something pithy that causes someone to question such a foundation of faith that we are beloved by God.

I cannot begin to explain why the tragedies in our world happen. But I can say that I do know this: 
I remember my affliction and my wandering,
 the bitterness and the gall.
I well remember them,
 and my soul is downcast within me.
Yet this I call to mind
 and therefore I have hope:
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
 for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning;
 great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;
 therefore I will wait for him.” (Lamentations 3:19-24) 

I don't have any answers. When I was talking to a friend about all of this recently, I told her that I knew it was not black and white, but that I honestly did not know where else to run. I do trust that God is good and that there is hope of redeeming love everywhere. I believe that God is with us and grieves with us, and thus He is named Emmanuel.  This is where I have laid my claim and where I have found hope.   I keep trying to show up and ask for faith when I feel empty. 

I cannot say, “he protects us because he loves us.” But I do know that he loves us. Period.  Bad things do happen, but we still have a rock on which we can stand and arms to run to in the love of our God.  

Clinging to Easter hope today…





a few comments from friends to share that I found to be so helpful: 

Jenny Walker Odell  I love this post and your observations! God does love us, and I beleive he rescues our souls, but there is no promise of safety. When we nearly lost our son several years ago from a traumatic head injury we had so many people praying for him. He pulled through and healed beyond the doctor's expectations. People declared, "God is Good!" because my Liam was saved. I struggled with that... I was grateful for his healing, I believed the prayers did sustain us. I believed God should be praised... but I also believe that had we lost our son, God is STILL good and should still be praised. I struggled with feelings of guilt for families in the same place who did lose their children. If our faith is based on a God who protects us from harm and gives us what we want, well, it will fail. It is HIS presence that carries us through life- whatever may come. He promises he will never leave us. I will praise Him, even in the midst of tragedy. Our God is always loving and always good.

Brian Lee Heard about the blast moments after seeing your finish line pic on FB, so glad you are safe. Thanks for this post. In times like these I find the doctrine of providence to be a profound comfort... not that God protects those he loves, but that all things are in his hands, and in Christ we know that whatever comes our way in this world (good or evil), he will work it to our good. I can't improve on words of our Heidelberg Catechism (again, sorry, longish post). 

Q. What do you believe when you say: I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth?
A. That the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who of nothing made heaven and earth with all that is in them, who likewise upholds and governs the same by His eternal counsel and providence, is for the sake of Christ His Son my God and my Father; in whom I so trust as to have no doubt that He will provide me with all things necessary for body and soul; and further, that whatever evil He sends upon me in this vale of tears, He will turn to my good; for He is able to do it, being almighty God, and willing also, being a faithful Father.

Praying that in the coming days and years our heavenly Father will continue to turn this evil to your good.

Emily- Thanks for sharing this.  I really appreciated your "God loves us, period."  I struggle, too, when people say God shows His love by.... and I think about starving and hurting and shattered circumstances people face all over the world.  Your reflection was helpful.  - Charlene

2 comments:

  1. Emily, I have read some of your posts when our mutual friends HRK or Heather F. like/comment. Thank you for sharing your thoughts as someone on site at the Boston Marathon. It has helped me in my own reflection on this sad event. So grateful you were unharmed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia Hunter said, in a sermon at University Baptist Church, words which I carry in my heart: "God did not say there would be no fire. God said God would be with us in the fire."
    and in rejoicing, too. Every one of us will face the fire, and we will not be alone...my love to all.

    ReplyDelete