Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Fragile...

This morning, the feeling in the airport was somber. I saw so many Boston runners with their blue and yellow jackets on and knew that everyone had a story. Everyone had a connection to this tragedy from their experience there.  

I got a very kind email from a friend that I have known since I was in middle school whom I got to see at the race: 
"It was such a treat to see you in line at the Athlete's Village, during the race and after...a ray of sunshine that cannot be marred by the horror of the rest of the day.  Let's all be gentle with ourselves and others today. I know I am feeling fragile."

I think that she nailed it with that word- fragile

As I was walking through the airport today, there were times when I had tears streaming down my face as I continued to recount the events and as I also anticipated the joy of getting to see my family again today. 

Needless to say, it was a sweet reunion and I am going to sleep much better tonight with us all under one roof... 




Dorothy and Toto last night (a.k.a. Sam who is Mary Price's sweet dog) 

There's no place like home! 
(last night after the race at Mary Price's house) 

thankful hearts

with a sweet sign: 
"Hooray for Mom! 
There's no one like Mom" 



One piece of comic relief today to share: 
FBI agents were stationed at Boston’s Logan International Airport asking travelers to share any photos or videos that might help authorities investigating the deadly Boston Marathon explosions.  In particular, they asked if any of us runners had any pictures from the finish line. I did have this one below and showed it to one of the agents.  I explained that it was probably taken a bit too soon  from the time of the explosions, but that he was welcome to look at it anyway. Elizabeth was watching him as he looked at the picture.  She reported to me that a smile began to make its way across his face as he looked at it, but then he regained his FBI composure.  I do hope that it made him laugh a bit to see Dorothy's glow at the end of the yellow brick road in light of all that he has sifted through over the last 24 hours.  









No comments:

Post a Comment