Sunday, September 22, 2013

Little Women

Our neighborhood mother/daughter book club met today, and my favorite part was when we took turns sharing who we would want to be in Little Women (the book we read for this month). 
There were many takers for the role of Jo and a few girls chose Amy and Meg.  There is no question that my favorite was Marmee. 
Oh for the wisdom of this mother of her four little women! 

“If you feel your value lies in being merely decorative, I fear that someday you might find yourself believing that’s all that you really are. Time erodes all such beauty, but what it cannot diminish is the wonderful workings of your mind: Your humor, your kindness, and your moral courage. These are the things I cherish so in you. I so wish I could give my girls a more just world. But I know you’ll make it a better place." -- Marmee, Little Women”



giving thanks for these little women!! 


“My child, the troubles and temptations of your life are beginning, and may be many; but you can overcome and outlive them all if you learn to feel the strength and tenderness of your Heavenly Father as you do that of your earthly one. The more you love and trust Him, the nearer you will feel to Him, and the less you will depend on human power and wisdom. His love and care never tire or change, can never be taken from you, but may become the source of lifelong peace, happiness, and strength. Believe this heartily, and go to God with all your little cares, and hopes, and sins, and sorrows, as freely and confidingly as you come to your mother.” 
― Louisa May AlcottLittle Women

“Love is a great beautifier.” 
― Louisa May AlcottLittle Women

“...for love casts out fear, and gratitude can conquer pride.” 
― Louisa May AlcottLittle Women

“Have a regular hours for work and play; make each day both useful and pleasant, and prove that you understand the worth of time by employing it well. Then youth will bring few regrets, and life will become a beautiful success.” 
― Louisa May AlcottLittle Women


“Be comforted, dear soul! There is always light behind the clouds.” 
― Louisa May AlcottLittle Women



“Let us be elegant or die! --Amy” 
― Louisa May AlcottLittle Women



“I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” 


more thoughts on raising little women and what we can learn from Marmee: 

No comments:

Post a Comment