Tuesday, March 4, 2014

a Lenten gift




Lent begins this Wednesday, and I have compiled a collection of quotes over the last year for some Lenten readings for 2014.  This compilation is called “FORTY5” because it is the fifth one of these that I have put together and it is meant to be read over a period of 40 days, whether that be the season of Lent or during any other season of the year when you want to carve out some space for reflection and listening.  These quotes are from some of the books, websites and blogs I have been reading, and they reflect some of the truths that I want to sink deeper into my heart. I read somewhere that  “Christianity is one beggar telling another beggar where he found bread,” and this collection is my simple offering of some bread for your journey as you listen to God’s voice in this world.  

You can download a copy of it through google drive here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx5tRXqq_48WdHVCSExzeFM0dWM/edit?usp=sharing
 I am also attaching a link where you can find it if you'd like a printed copy: http://www.lulu.com/shop/emily-huff/forty-5/paperback/product-21419891.html


Eugene Peterson writes, “forty is a stock biblical word that has hope at its core. Forty days is a period of testing the reality of one’s life—examining it for truth and for authenticity.  The forty days in Noah’s ark was used to cleanse centuries of moral pollution. The forty years in the wilderness was used to train the Israelites to live by faith in the promises of God. The forty days of Jesus’ temptation was used to explore his calling and test his commitment. The forty days of Jesus’ appearances after his death was used to verify his resurrection and characterize the new life of God’s kingdom.  In each case, the number forty works eschatologically: The last day, the fortieth day, shapes the content of the preceding thirty-nine days. Each of the thirty- nine days experiences eschatological pressure- the days become a womb, pregnant with new beginnings. If the span of forty days does its proper work, life begins in a new way.” (Conversations; The Message with its Translator, page 1416-1417)

As I shared in the last few compilations:
The number 40 holds particular significance in the Bible and refers to a precise number, not just a long period of time…. A 40-something time period, whether days, months, or years is ALWAYS a period of testing, trial, probation, or chastisement (but not judgment) and ends with a period of restoration, revival or renewal. Thankfully, God is consistent, so the meaning of a number in Genesis remains the same all the way to the book of Revelation. Sometimes the spiritual significance is not revealed directly, but in the case of "40" and its many examples throughout the Bible, we can be certain of its importance and significance. (from Wikianswers.com)

One other reason that I wanted to call this collection “40” is because Psalm 40 continues to speak to me for many reasons.  U2 has put it to music in their classic song:
40
I waited patiently for the Lord
He inclined and heard my cry.
He brought me right out of the pit, out of my miry clay.
I will sing a new song, How long to sing this song?
He set my feet upon a rock, and made my footsteps heard.
Many will see, Many will see and fear.
I will sing, sing a new song. How long to sing this song?

So whatever season you are in, may these words bring you restoration, revival and renewal.  May God’s love be more real to you as you soak these words up over the next 40 days. 

As one of my favorite authors says so well: “I hope and pray that you who read these meditations will discover many connections with your own spiritual journey, even when that journey is very different from my own.  I trust that these connections will make you aware that we are traveling together toward the Light, always encouraging each other to keep our eyes fixed on the One who is calling us home.”  -Henri Nouwen Here and Now

Much love to you this Lenten season,
Emily 



No comments:

Post a Comment